Every three years, The Episcopal Church has a governance meeting called General Convention. Well, it’s more than legislative activities. According to Fort Worth deputy Katie Sherrod, “it’s combination of family reunion, tent revival, legislation session, county fair, liturgical fashion show, and giant sing-along.”
The Episcopal Church’s General Convention is the bicameral governing body of our church. It comprises the House of Bishops, with upwards of 200 active and retired bishops, and the House of Deputies, with more than 800 clergy and lay deputies elected from the 108 dioceses and three regional areas of the church. Several interim bodies also carry on work in between conventions. The Episcopal Church Women will hold their triennial meeting concurrent with General Convention.
Our bishops and deputies from the Diocese of Fort Worth will be there to participate in the decision-making of the church.
Meet the 2018 General Convention Deputation from the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth
House of Bishops
Several our deputation members are serving or assisting on legislative committees in addition to voting:
- Katie Sherrod is the chair of the deputation and serves on the Committee on Churchwide Leadership
- Kathleen Wells and Janet Waggoner are serving on the House of Deputies Resolution Review Committee
- Katheen is also serving on the Constitution and Canons committee
- Aidan Wright is assistant secretary to the committee working with the Episcopal Church in Cuba
- Marti Fagley is serving on the Credentials Committee
- Carlye Hughes is the Secretary for the Racial Justice and Reconciliation committee
- Tracie Middleton is serving on the committee for the Certification of Minutes
- Janet Waggoner is also serving on the House of Deputies Special Committee on Sexual Harassment and Exploitation
- Bishop Mayer serves on the Christian Formation Committee
Please pray for all our Fort Worth deputation as they attend General Convention and the ECW triennial meeting.
You’re invited, too, to come along to General Convention – virtually or in person. Since it’s in Texas, this is a great opportunity to see the wideness of the Episcopal Church, observe how business gets done, and worship with hundreds of other Episcopalians.
Subscribe to email updates on this site.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
We will have links to other websites here, and social media will provide the opportunity to encounter a wealth of information, most searchable on your favorite social sites and apps with the hashtag #gc79 (for General Convention). Remember to tag @diofw to mention our diocese in your conversations!
Follow our deputation and others on Twitter:
Janet Waggoner @revjanetw
Scott Mayer @jscottmayer
Katie Sherrod @KatieSherrod3
Carlye Hughes @CarlyeJHughes
Amy Haynie @amyphaynie
David Madison @SAESchools
Kevin Johnson @revkevj
Tracie Middleton @DeaconTracie
Presiding Bishop Michael Curry @PB_Curry
President of the House of Deputies Gay Jennings @gaycjen
O God of peace, you have taught us that in returning and rest we shall be saved, in quietness and confidence shall be our strength: By the might of your Spirit lift us, we pray, into your presence, where we may be still and know that you are God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.