Convention deputies probably wanted to rest… but instead they
- worshipped. Read Worship on Day 8 of General Convention to enjoy photos of worship that show the many faces and cultures of the church and to read an awesome sermon.
- Both houses agreed on fossil fuel divestment (resolution C045) and created an environmental advocacy committee (resolution A030).
- Adopted resolution A015 to reaffirm support of Province IX sustainability. Province IX is comprised of seven Episcopal dioceses in Latin America and the Caribbean: Colombia, Dominican Republic, Central Ecuador, Litoral Ecuador, Honduras, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela.
- Bishops rejected substitute resolution D016, opposing divestment in Israel and Palestine.
- Adopted resolutions related to Cuba. Resolution B003 acknowledges and affirms the Cuban church’s request to request membership as a diocese. Resolution B002 calls for the end of an embargo of Cuba. Read ENS’s story Convention calls for closer relations with Cuban church.
- Bishops issued a Mind of the House statement “Communion Across Difference” to colleagues who identify as Communion Partners and 18 bishops who signed a minority report on marriage equality
- budgeted. Oh, my, did they!
- wrote. Bishop Mayer gave a statement on the actions of General Convention, including the election of Michael Curry as our next presiding bishop and extending the sacrament of marriage to same-sex couples. Read it here.
Read Episcopal Cafe’s #GC78: Roundup for July 2