The worship service on Tuesday, June 30 remembered the life of James Weldon Johnson, poet and hymn writer.
Eternal God, we give thanks for the gifts that you gave your servant James Weldon Johnson: a heart and voice to praise your Name in verse. As he gave us powerful words to glorify you, may we also speak with joy and boldness to banish hatred from your creation, in the Name of Jesus Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
The Rev. Kimberly Jackson, Chaplain and Vicar of the Absalom Jones Episcopal Center in Atlanta preached.
“We are called to reject the notion that some people’s lives are of greater value than others’.”
- Eucharist remembering James Weldon Johnson
- Presider – The Rt. Rev. Wendell Gibbs
- Bishop of Michigan, Preacher – The Rev. Kimberly Jackson, Chaplain and Vicar, Absalom Jones Episcopal Center, Atlanta
- Deacon – The Rev. Deacon Libby Hunter
- Lector OT – Uzo Kanu, Official Youth Presence
- Lector NT – Byron Rushing
- Master of Ceremonies – Margaret McLarty