Every three years, The Episcopal Church has a governance meeting called General Convention. Well, it’s more than legislative activities. According to Fort Worth deputy Katie Sherrod, “it’s combination of family reunion, tent revival, legislation session, county fair, liturgical fashion show, and giant sing-along.”
The 78th General Convention of The Episcopal Church is June 25 – July 3, in Salt Lake City, in the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. The Episcopal Church’s General Convention is the bicameral governing body of our church. It comprises the House of Bishops, with upwards of 200 active and retired bishops, and the House of Deputies, with more than 800 clergy and lay deputies elected from the 108 dioceses and three regional areas of the church. The Episcopal Church Women will hold their triennial meeting concurrent with General Convention.
Our bishops and deputies from the Diocese of Fort Worth will be there to participate in the decision-making of the church, from selecting the next presiding bishop to detailed committee work responding to resolutions to grappling with the recommendations of the Task Force for Reimagining the Episcopal Church (TREC).
Meet our deputation to the 2015 General Convention and our delegates to the ECW triennial meeting
- House of Bishops: Rayford High, Scott Mayer
- House of Deputies – Lay: Marti Fagley, Kathleen Wells, Katie Sherrod, Brent Walker; Alternates Bob Hicks, Norm Snyder
- House of Deputies – Clergy: Carlye Hughes, Curt Norman, David Madison, Hope Benko; Alternates Jordan Ware, Amy Haynie
- Deputation Facilitator: Janet Waggoner
- ECW delegates: Cynthia Eichenberger, Sandy Schockley
Several our deputation members are serving or assisting on legislative committees:
- Hope Benko is serving as assistant secretary for Evangelism and Communication
- David Madison is on Dispatch of Business
- Katie Sherrod is on Governance and Structure
- Brent Walker is on the Special Legislative Committee on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Jordan Ware is on the Episcopal Church – United Methodist Dialogue Committee on Full Communion
- Kathleen Wells is on Constitution and Canons and the House of Deputies Resolutions Review Committee
- Rayford High is serving on the Church Pension Fund committee
Please pray for Bishop High, Bishop Mayer and the Fort Worth deputation as they attend General Convention and the ECW triennial meeting.
You’re invited, too, to come along to General Convention – at least virtually. Subscribe to email updates on this site. We will have links to other websites here, and social media will provide the opportunity to encounter a wealth of information, most searchable on your favorite social sites and apps with the hashtag #gc78 (for General Convention) and #diofw (for the Diocese of Fort Worth). You’ll find links to the General Convention website and to our deputation blog on the front page of our diocesan website.
O God of peace, you have taught us that in returning and rest we shall be saved, in quietness and confidence shall be our strength: By the might of your Spirit lift us, we pray, into your presence, where we may be still and know that you are God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.